Art by me (Z-Doodler)
Tuesday tips — Costume Design 101.
Costume design is a very important part of character design. It tells you a whole lot about your character; ie. age, personality, what she/he likes, time period, strength, … etc. It supposed to enhance a character’s personality.
Here are my process in tackling costume design.
1. Find a good reference. Inspiration is key!
2. Look for a good shillouette that is recognizable and different from other characters.
3. Pick one shillouette and find smaller shape within. Do tons of variation and have fun.
4. Color variation. Use variation the same color combination for all the design. Keep it simple!
5. Finish up and have fun. It will also a good idea to think of texture and material.
Even though I saw her livestream (you can check it out here) the sketches for these, I was still completely floored when Ashley Mackenzie sent these pieces. Look at them! Oh and in the zine, these are printed back to back so that it feels like you’re entering the door - they’re beautiful and functional!
Also many congratulations to Ashley for being our third contributor in this year’s Spectrum Annual! So proud of you, girl!
Jet Set Radio Future - Sky Dinosaurian Square
Come along, children
Now we’re gonna have a little music
Like old times
Like old times
Look now i’ll start the melody on the organ
Small collection of Bee’s many outfits.
Death in the Mango Grove, by Alexander Vidal.